20 January 2014

Banaue

For 2,000 years, the rice terraces of the Cordilleras have displayed a beautiful example of humans working with the environment to create a sustainable use of natural resources. The Ifugao tribes have passed down their knowledge from generation to generation and continue to follow their same practices hundreds of years later.

On Monday, my mom and I caught a van from Bontoc to Banaue to see them with our own eyes. There are many smaller rice terraces found scattered throughout the mountains, but these are the largest and most breathtaking.













We did a little souvenir shopping while at the terraces. The locals carve such amazingly beautiful pieces of art (and sell them for almost nothing) that I wanted to take everything home. Unfortunately for me, my backpack could only hold a couple small items.

finishing up a wood carving

 Sungka (Mancala) boards on the side of the road

 America on a Jeepney

No comments:

Post a Comment