23 May 2012

Downtown Lima

We were told  it was an hour and a half walk from our hostel to downtown Lima or we could take a bus. After seeing the buses, we decided it would be a lovely walk. I had coffee and coca tea with some of the other backpackers at the hostel and then we headed out around 1pm.We walked though the world's nerdiest mall full of figurine shops and gaming cafes. We ate lunch in a little market and totally failed at ordering. We ended up getting two orders of everything we asked for, but paid half of what we thought we owed... I have no idea. I'm finding out really fast that I know almost zero Spanish. We walked NE until we started seeing a lot more heavily armed police. Their guns looked like they were dug out of the ground 100 years ago and were never cleaned. I checked our map and noticed we had entered the area that Francis had marked with little red X's. We made sure to head back before dark. I almost didn't make it back. My legs felt like they were going to collapse at any minute. After a quick stop for beer and food (how do you say "to-go"???) we made it back to the hostel and showered and ate and drank and passed the fuck out. I checked the map in the morning and found out we had walked 20 km there and back-not including wandering in and out of every single mall and park and market place.

nerd mall

 about when I realized that I was in a city of 8.2 million people

giant, beautiful old buildings all around me! 

seriously epic buildings in every direction

my first llamas 

 every restroom here is different, but I found out a little late that you need to get your toilet paper and paper towels BEFORE entering the restroom.

Tyler was offered drugs at least three times in this street. Little kids love pointing and laughing at him and adults just think his tattoos means he wants coke. 

This place is awesome and we stand out like crazy! 

San Cristobal Hill and about when shit started getting a little scary 

seriously 

 epic

 oh, and this Burger King shack

haven't seen a lot of street art, but most of what I've seen has been totally amazing

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Dan says "to-go" is "para llevar (yay-var)" Can't wait to see and hear more. I love the llama statues and all the buildings. I wish the US had older buildings. Arizona is only 100 years old this year...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yeah, the US is still a baby. I'm can't wait to see Machu Picchu!

    PS Thanks Dan! I've just been pointing out the door and smiling.

    ReplyDelete